Powered By Blogger

Friday, June 17, 2011

Fiction Friday

As soon as she entered the waiting room, he threw his arms upward, paying no mind to the strangers in the space.
"Where were you?" Mark said, with his arms gesturing.
"I thought I said I'd meet you here at 4," said Kelly.
"Whatever, the vet is ready," said Mark walking toward the exam room door.
"Oh, so, we're doing this?" Kelly said, not moving.
"Kelly, she's not going to get better, she's fourteen and her kidneys are shutting down."
"But, Mark, I'm not, I mean, I didn't think..."
"I know, but let's get in here, the vet is waiting."
Once in the exam room Kelly could see Casey, her daughter, stroking the sheltie she'd nurtured most of her life. The beautiful dog, lying on the table, motionless.
"Mom, we were waiting for you." Casey said, looking up at Kelly with tears streaming.
"I know sweetie, I came as fast as I could."
"Mom," said Casey, "Dr. Davis says it's time to let her go."
Kelly felt something deep inside her intestines lurching. Must be the Caesar salad she thought. She couldn't bring her eyes to focus on Maggie, yet she couldn't look away either.
"Dr.Davis, she's only been sick a day or so," Kelly said.
"Yes, Mrs. Anderson, that's what Mark was saying. But she is so weak, I'm afraid she won't make it through the the tests, or even the trip to the animal facility. You know you can try, and she may get some better if she survives the testing."
Kelly felt numbness take over her body. She stood, unable to move. How could now be the time to say goodbye? she wondered. Still, the thoughts of Maggie dying alone with strangers didn't feel like much of an alternative.
"Okay, then, are we ready?" said Kelly.
"I think we are," Mark said, looking at Casey and Maggie.
"Let's do this," said Casey, sitting tall, but keeping a hand on Maggie.
"Well, folks this doesn't take long, just pet her and tell her you love her and in just a minute or so after the medicine is in, she will be gone." Dr. Davis busied himself shaving Maggie's rear leg, Maggie really didn't notice.
Kelly stroked Maggie's beautiful, sable body, still so soft to touch. Won't take long, she thought, no, it doesn't take long. Not long at all for a small puppy to become a part of everyone in the house. Not long at all for a lifetime of barking, chasing, chewing and loving to happen.
Dr. Davis held the stethoscope against her, "Okay folks, she's gone now, take all the time you need."
Kelly stroked as she sobbed, with Mark and Casey.

"Dr., we could never have all the time we needed with her."

2 comments:

  1. That moved me to tears. I've never been in this situation, but can imagine this is exactly how I'd feel. Great last line too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Fiction Friday!!

    you have captured this scene beautifully. Its so heartbreakingly sad. I used to work as a vet nurse and saw this exact scene played out several times a day.. It never stopped me crying in the back after the family left.

    well done..

    visitors can see my flash here
    http://annieevett.blogspot.com/2011/06/sick-with-sadness.html

    ReplyDelete